GLASUL ARDEALULUI (TRANSYLVANIA’S VOICE) – THE NEWSPAPER OF THE GREAT UNION IN BRAŞOV
AN EVALUATION OF A UNIONIST, PATRIOTIC AND DEMOCRATIC MEDIATIC ACTION
Event of huge importance for the formation of the national Romanian state, the Great Union on the 1st of December 1918 was and remains in the memory of the Romanian people as an apotheosis moment, fulfilling the desires of so many generations, fighting for the Great Romania. Starting from the idea of consciousness of nation and freedom of the three Romanian provinces, what will be constituted in the future united Romania, our study aims to evaluate the contribution of a newspaper from Braşov, Glasul Ardealului (Transylvania’s Voice), to the future preparation and the mobilization of the Romania n population for the support of the Great National Assembly from Alba Iulia.On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of this great event, the Association of Conscience and Freedom organizes, in collaboration with the Parliament of Romania, between 14-15 November 2018, the international symp osium entitled The Idea of National Unity, Freedom of Conscience and the Principles of Democratic Society. Expressing the unity in the minds and the souls of the Romanians from Braşov, the editors of the newspaper, Ilie Cristea and Dante Gherman, wrote immortal words on the theme of the great desire of the Transylvanian Romanian population: we want to be united with the country. As active members in the Romanian National Counsel from Ţara Bârsei and in the County Executive Committee, the two journalists are part of the historical contribution of Braşov County to the Great Union, by the force of their democratic mobilizing discourse, influencing spiritually the people and stimulating their commitment to the national and patriotic activism. Their articles are powerful, programmatic and organizational, insist i ng on the support and the promotion of the democratic society fundaments of the united Romania.
• Newspaper Collection “Glasul Ardealului” (no.1 – 49).
• Magazine Collection “Astra” (1968 – 1988).
• Newspaper Collection “Gazeta Transilvaniei” (1868, 1919).
• Nicoară, Ioan, Glasul Ardealului, in “Cumidava”, II, Braşov 1968.
• Poenaru, Emil, Unele principii ale Declaraţiei de la Alba Iulia, in “Cumidava”, II, 1968.
• Rotaru, Ioan-Gheorghe, Sabatarienii în contextul vieții transilvane (sec. XVI-XIX), Vol. I., Editura Risoprint, Cluj-Napoca, 2014.
• Schnell, Karl Erns, Aus meinem Leben, Markus Verlag, Braşov, 1934.
• Ungureanu, Arnold, Atitudinea presei săseşi faţă de unirea românilor din Transilvania cu România, in “Cumidava”, XII, 1, 1979-1980.
• Vlad, Ioan, Braşovul şi Marea Unire, Lugoj, Editura Dacia Europa Nova,1996.
• Vlaicu, Arsenie, Memorii, manuscripts, the State Archives Braşov.