APOCALYPTIC HYSTERIA AND THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH
Freedom of speech is a core value of democracy. This has to be regulated and protected by law. When the discourse falls within the limits accepted by the law and is still of a doubtful value, the only solution is education. The focus of the paper is such a discourse, which regards the exaggerations regarding the end of the world. As old as the first Christian generation, the feeling of urgency and soonness has been nurtured and promoted. At times, this expectation has been exaggerated to the point where there is almost no benefit, either at a personal level or in the community or the society at large. Apocalypticism and eschatological exaggeration is amply testified in history, therefore the paper touches upon the Olivet Discourse in the hope to clarify and argue that there is no way to anticipate the approach of the end of the world or the return of Jesus based on the so-called signs of the end.
• “Apocalipsa vine, Apocalipsa trece…” ( June 9, 2018). Available at http://www.mixdecultura.ro/2018/06/ apocalipsa-vine-apocalipsa-trece/ (accessed on October 8, 2018).
• Baker, C. Edwin Human Liberty and the Freedom of Speech. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1992.
• Bock, Darrell L. Luke: 9:51-24:53.Vol. 2. Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 1996.
• Bollinger, Lee C. The Tolerant Society. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1986.
• Butler, Trent C. Luke. Holman New Testament Commentary 3. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman, 2000.
• Fitzmyer S.J., Joseph A. The Gospel According to Luke X-XXIV: Introduction, Translation, and Notes. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2008.
• France, R. T. The Gospel of Matthew. The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2007.
• Green, Joel B. The Gospel of Luke. The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1997.
• Hendriksen, William and Simon J. Kistemaker.Exposition of the Gospel According to Luke. New Testament Commentary 11. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1953–2001.
• Http://www.antenasatelor.ro/vrem-sa-stii/vss3/stiinta/31804-24-iunie-2018-–-ziua-apocalipsei-iata-ce-spune-biblia.html (accessed on October 8, 2018).
• Https://ortodoxinfo.ro/2018/01/06/1948-fost-anul-inceputuluiapocalipsei-1948-70-2018-anul-2018-va-reprezenta-intrareaapocalipsa/ (accessed on October 8, 2018).
• Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9lvrrcu3E (accessed on October 8, 2018)
• Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzqHUttIZfA (accessed on October 8, 2018).
• Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm-QQbxzTq4 (accessed on October 8, 2018)
• Lenski, R. C. H. The Interpretation of St. Luke’s Gospel. Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Publishing House, 1961.
• Marcovitz, Hal. Sir Ernest Shackleton and the Struggle Against Antarctica. Philadelphia, PA: Chelsea House, 2002.
• Marshall, I. Howard.The Gospel of Luke: A Commentary on the Greek Text. The New International Greek Testament Commentary. Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1978.
• Moț,Laurențiu Florentin. “Apropierea și întârzierea Parusiei la părinții ante- și post-niceeni – partea I.” Theorhēma. Vol. 11, No. 1 (2016): 57-74.
• _______. “Apropierea și întârzierea Parusiei la părinții ante- și postniceeni – partea II.” Theorhēma. Vol. 12, No. 2 (2016): 37-54.
• _______. “Tema nou-testamentară a apropierii și întârzierii parusiei în gândirea Reformei Protestante.” Theorhēma. Vol. 12, No. 2 (2017): 19-44.
• _______. “Tema nou-testamentară a apropierii și întârzierii parusiei în Evul Mediu.” Theorhēma. Vol. 13, No. 1 (2018): 25-54.
• Nolland, John.Luke 18:35-24:53. Word Biblical Commentary 35C. Dallas, TX: Word, Incorporated, 2002.
• Plummer, Alfred. A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the Gospel According to S. Luke. London: T&T Clark International, 1896.
• Rogers, Jon.“APOCALYPSE NOW Conspiracy theorists claim the world will end TODAY after ‘receiving mysterious voicemail’.” The Sun (April 18th, 2018).Available at https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6085611/conspiracy-theorists-voicemail-end-world-apocalypse/ (accessed on November 8, 2018).
• Samples, John.“So, just how guaranteed is your freedom of speech online?” New York Post (August 19, 2017). Available at https://nypost.com/2017/08/19/so-just-how-guaranteed-is-your-freedom-ofspeech-online/ (accessed on November 5, 2018).
• Stein, Robert H. Luke. The New American Commentary 24. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman, 2001.
•• The Guardian (March 18, 2018). Available at https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/18/the-guardian-view-on-freespeech-online-let-law-decide-the-limits (accessed on November 5, 2018).
• White, Ellen. “Rest for the Weary.”Review and Herald(August 2, 1881): par. 1-12.