CREATED IN GOD’S IMAGE: HUMAN DIGNITY IN BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVE
Ever since the publication of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the notion of human dignity has been regarded as the moral foundation on which human rights and liberties function. This article argues that unless dignity is grounded in a theological understanding of human nature and human worth, as portrayed in the creation accounts of Genesis 1-2, dignity is too ambiguous a notion to be useful in contemporary debates. It is argued that the creation of humankind in God’s image and the special task of administering the creation humans receive from the Creator, speak both about the value human beings have and therefore about their dignity.
• Anderson, Bernard W., From Creation to New Creation. Old Testament Perspectives, Minneapolis, Fortress Press, 1994.
• Barth, Karl, “The Doctrine of Creation”, in Church Dogmatics III.1, Edinburgh, T. & T. Clark, 1958, pp. 183-206.
• Berkouwer, G.C., Man. The Image of God, Grand Rapids, MI, Eerdmans, 1962.
• Blocher, Henri, In the Beginning. The Opening Chapters of Genesis, Leicester, Inter-Varsity, 1984.
• Bonhoeffer, Dietrich, Creation and Fall, London, SCM Press, 1959.
• Bottero, Jean / Kramer, Samuel Noah, When the Gods Made Man, Paris, Gallimard, 1989.
• Brueggemann, Walter. Genesis [Interpretation], Atlanta, GA, John Knox Press, 1982.
• Brunner, Emil, The Christian Doctrine of Creation and Redemption. Dogmatics 2, London, Lutterworth, 1952.
• Buccola, Nicholas, “‘The Essential Dignity of Man as Man’: Frederick Douglas on Human Dignity”, in American Political Thought, 4-2/2015, pp. 228-258.
• Claassens, L. Juliana, “Human Dignity in the Prophetic Traditions. Upholding Human Worth in a Context of Dehumanisation”, in Nederduitse Gereformeerde Teologiese Tydskrif, 52-1/2011, pp. 34-44.
• Claassens, L. Juliana / Birch, Bruce C. (eds.), Restorative Readings. The Old Testament, Ethics, and human Dignity, Eugene, OR, Pickwick Publications, 2015.
• Clines, David J.A., “The Image of God in Man”, in Tyndale Bulletin, 19/1968, pp. 54-61.
• Driver, Samuel R., The Book of Genesis [Westminster Commentaries], London, Methuen, 10th edition, 1916.
• Dumbrell, William J., Covenant and Creation. A Theology of the Old Testament Covenants, Grand Rapids, MI, Baker Books, 1984. Created in God’s Image: Human Dignity in Biblical Perspective 607
• Etinson, Adam. “What’s so Special about Human Dignity?”, in Philosophy & Public Affairs, 48-4/2020, pp. 353-381.
• Evans, C.S., “Healing Old Wounds and Recovering Old Insights. Toward a Christian View of the Person for Today”, in M.A. Noll / D.F. Wells (eds.), Christian Faith and Practice in the Modern World. Theology from an Evangelical Point of View, Grand Rapids, MI, Eerdmans, 1988, pp. 68-86.
• Grenz, Stanley J., The Social God and the Relational Self. A Trinitarian Theology of the Imago Dei, Louisville, KY, Westminster, 2001.
• Hart, I., “Genesis 1:1-2:3 as a Prologue to the Book of Genesis”, in Tyndale Bulletin, 46-2/1995, pp. 315-336.
• Hoekema, Anthony A., Created in God’s Image, Grand Rapids, MI, Eerdmans, 1986.
• Hughes, Glen, “The Concept of Dignity in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights”, in Journal of Religious Ethics, 39-1/2011, pp. 1-24.
• Janzen, Waldemar, Old Testament Ethics. A Paradigmatic Approach, Louisville, KY, Westminster/John Knox Press, 1994.
• Jonker, Louis, “Human Dignity and the Construction of Identity in the Old Testament”, in Scriptura, 105/2010, pp. 594-607.
• Jónsson, Gunnlaugur A., The Image of God. Genesis 1:26-28 in a Century of Old Testament Research, Lund, Almqvist and Wiksell, 1988.
• Junker-Kenny, Maureen, “Human Dignity or Social Contract as Normative Frameworks in Applied Ethics?”, in International Journal for Religion and Transformation in Contemporary Society, 6/2020, pp. 74-89.
• Kaufmann, Paulus, et alii (eds.), Humiliation, Degradation, Dehumanization. Human Dignity Violated [Library of Ethics and Applied Philosophy, vol. 24], Dordrecht, Springer, 2011.
• Kautzsch, E., Gesenius’ Hebrew Grammar, Oxford, Clarendon Press, 2nd edition, 1910.
• Keil, C.F. / Delitzch, F., Commentary on the Old Testament. The Pentateuch, vol. 1, Grand Rapids, MI, Eerdmans, 1991.
• Klaaren, E.M., “Creation and Community”, in Religion and Intellectual Life, 5/1988.
• Krämer, Klaus / Vellguth, Klaus (eds.), Human Dignity. Discourses on Universality and Inalienability [One World Theology, vol. 8], Freiburg im Breisgau, Verlag Herder GmbH, 2017.
• Malpas, Jeff / Lickiss, Norelle (eds.), Perspectives on Human Dignity. A Conversation, Dordrecht, Springer, 2007.
• Miller, J.M., “In the Image and Likeness of God”, in Journal of Biblical Literature, 91/1972, pp. 289-304.
• Missatkine, S., “Mistica Vechiului Testament”, in M.M. Davy (ed.), Enciclopedia Doctrinelor Mistice, vol. 1, Timişoara, Amarcord, 1997.
• Nascimento, Amos / Lutz-Bachmann, Matthias (eds.), Human Dignity. Perspectives from a Critical Theory of Human Rights [Rethinking Political and International Theory], London, Routledge, 2018.
• Oberdorfer, Berndt, “Human Dignity and ‘Image of God’”, in Scriptura, 204/2010, pp. 231-239.
• Punt, Jeremy, “Mapping Human Dignity in the New Testament. Concerns, Considerations and Concepts”, in Scriptura, 105/2010, pp. 621-635.
• Robinson, Dominic, Understanding the “Imago Dei”. The Thought of Barth, von Balthasar and Moltmann, Farnham, Ashgate, 2011.
• Shannon, Thomas A., “Grounding Human Dignity”, in Dialog, 43-2/2004, pp. 113-117.
• Simango, Daniel, “The Imago Dei (Gen. 1:26-27). A History of Interpretation from Philo to the Present”, in Studia Historiae Ecclestiasticae, 42-1/2016, pp. 172-190.
• Szczerba, Wojciech. “The Concept of Imago Dei as a Symbol of Religious Inclusion and Human Dignity”, in Forum Philosophicum, 25-1/2020, pp. 13-36.
• The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, available at http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html (accessed on 16 November 2021).
• Titus, Eric J., “The Imago Dei in the Priestly Creation Narrative: A Consideration of Three Exemplars”, in Marcel V. Măcelaru / Corneliu Constantineanu (eds.), Theological Pilgrimages. Collected Faculty Papers, 2007-2009, Osijek, Evanđeoski teološki fakultet, 2009, pp. 7-22.
• Vorster, Nico, “A Theological Perspective on Human Dignity, Equality and Freedom”, in Verbum et Ecclesia, 33-1/2012, art. 719, available at https://
doi.org/10.4102/ve.v33i1.719 (accessed on 20 September 2021).
• Waltke, Bruce K. / O’Connor, M., An Introduction to Biblical Hebrew Syntax, Winona Lake, IN, Eisenbrauns, 1990.
• Wenham, Gordon J., Genesis 1-15 [WBC, vol. 1], Dallas, TX, Word, 1987.
• Westermann, Claus, Genesis 1-11. A Commentary, Minneapolis, Augsburg Fortress Press, 1987.