DISABILITY AND HUMAN DIGNITY ON THE IMAGO DEI AS PROOF OF HUMAN WORTH
The issue addressed in this paper pertains to one of the most vulnerable human
categories – children with disabilities, and by implication, people with
disabilities. Many a time the behaviour “normal” people have toward the disabled
in the community is faulty and degrading. Most often this is so because of
the erroneous perceptions many of us have in regard with the worth such persons
have. This paper advances the premise that disability is neither a degrading
experience nor should it affect how one’s dignity is being perceived. Disability
is an unavoidable aspect of the human condition, a common experience
we all share. Moreover, the biblical claim that we are created in God’s image,
does not preclude disability, but rather it elevates the status of the disabled.
• Atkinson, David, The Message of Genesis 1–11, Leicester, Inter-Varsity
• Barth, Karl, “The Doctrine of Creation”, in Church Dogmatics III.1,
Edinburgh, T. & T. Clark, 1958.
• Blocher, Henri, In the Beginning. The Opening Chapters of Genesis, Leicester,
• Brueggemann, Walter, Genesis [Interpretation], Atlanta, John Knox Press,
• Eliade, Mircea, Istoria Credinţelor şi Ideilor Religioase, Volumul 1, Chişinău:
• Grenz, Stanley J., Created for Community. Connecting Christian Belief with
Christian Living, Grand Rapids, Baker Books, 1998.
• Grenz, Stanley J., Theology for the Community of God, Nashville, TN, Broadman
& Holman Publishers, 1994.
• Grudem, Wayne, Systematic Theology, Grand Rapids, Zondervan, 1994.
• Klaaren, E.M., “Creation and Community”, in Religion and Intellectual Life,
Disability and Human Dignity on the Imago Dei as Proof of Human Worth 595
• Lacoste, Jean-Yves, Prezență și parusie, trad. Sorin Ovidiu Podar, Cluj-Napoca,
Editura Viața Creștină, 2012.
• Mîț, Adriana, “Serviciu de transport gratuit destinat persoanelor cu
dizabilități, la Timișoara”, available online at https://www.pressalert.
la-timisoara/ (accessed on 16th of February 2000).
• Niebuhr, Richard, The Responsible Self. An Essay in Christian Moral Philosophy,
San Francisco, Harper & Row, 1978.
• Stăniloae, Dumitru, Sfânta Treime sau la început a fost iubirea, Bucureşti,
Editura Institutului Biblic şi de Misiune al Bisericii Ortodoxe Române,
• Westermann, Claus, Genesis 1-11. A Commentary, London. SPCK, 1974.