DREPTUL LA VIAȚĂ VERSUS DREPTUL LA MOARTE. CONSIDERAȚII LEGISLATIVE ȘI JURISPRUDENȚIALE PRIVIND LEGALIZAREA EUTANASIEI DIN PERSPECTIVA DREPTURILOR OMULUI
The Right to Life Versus The Right to Death. Legislative and Jurisprudential Considerations Regarding the Legalization of Eutanasia from a Human Rights Perspective.
The right to life is a fundamental and priority value of the contemporary world, being confirmed by its regulation in the most important international legal instruments. Considering the patient’s right to autonomy, by which he has the right to make decisions about any aspect of treatment, it can be argued that there is also the right to die, by which the patient has the right to demand an end to suffering and to die with dignity. This article aims to analyze the legal aspects of legalizing euthanasia from a human rights perspective, based on eloquent jurisprudence in the field. Advances in recent years in the field of medical and pharmaceutical technologies and which ensures survival, call into question the right to self- determination of patients with incurable diseases. The many concrete cases that stand out through prolonged and unbearable physical and mental suffering have brought up the issue of recognizing a new right - the right to die. Euthanasia is also closely linked to the concept of physician assisted suicide (PAS), in which healthcare professionals provide the means for a patient to suppress his or her own life. Given that advances in medicine have exacerbated the problem of euthanasia or, we can say, highlighted the issue of „dignified death”, this article aims to analyze the regulation of euthanasia at national and global level. This has happened in two directions: towards the technological progress of assistance to the dying and towards the direction of the socialization of medicine.
• Antoniu, G., Bulai, C., Chivulescu, Gh., Dicţionar juridic penal, Bucureşti, Editura Ştiinţifică şi Enciclopedică, 1976.
• Boudreau, Donald J., Somerville, Margaret A., ”Euthanasia and assisted suicide: a physician’s and ethicist’s perspectives”, în Medicolegal and Bioethics, Vol. 4/2014, pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.2147/MB.S59303
• Cica, N., Euthanasia - the Australian Law in an International Context; Part 1: Passive Voluntary Euthanasia, Canberra, Department of the Parliamentary Library, 1996, disponibil la: https://www.aph.gov.au/about_parliament/parliamentary_departments/parliamentary_library/pubs/rp/rp9697/97rp4
• Cauza Pretty c. Regatului Unit, nr. 2346/02, judecata din 29 aprilie 2002, în European Court of Human Rights – Reserch Report – Bioethics and the case law of the Court, Council of Europe/European Court of Human Rights, 2012, www.echr.coe.int.
• Cauza Haas v. Switzerland, App no 31322/07 (ECHR, 20 January 2011)
• Cauza Gross v Switzerland App no 67810/10 (ECHR, 14 May 2013)
• Cauza Gross v Switzerland App no 67810/10 (ECHR [GC], 30 September 2014)
• Cauza Koch v Germany App no 497/09 (ECHR, 19 July 2012).
• Chambre des Deputes, Loi No 4909/11.12.2008 sur l’euthanasie et l’assistance au suicide, disponibil la: https://gouvernement.lu/dam-assets/fr/actualites/articles/2008/12-decembre/18-chd/18-4909.pdf
• European Court of Human Rights, Council of Europe, European Convention on Human Rights, as amended (ECHR), disponibil la: https://www.echr.coe.int/documents/convention_eng.pdf
• Eutanasia Laws Act 1997, No. 17, 1997, disponibil la: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2004A05118
• Kuiper, M.A., Whetstine, L.M., Holmes, J.L. et al., ”Euthanasia: a word no longer to be used or abused”, Intensive Care Med Vol. 33/2007, p. 549-550. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-006-0489-7
• Legemaate, J., ”The Dutch Euthanasia Act and related issues”, în Journal Law Med., 2004 Feb, Vol. 11/2004, Issue 3, pp. 312-323.
• Marin, Marilena, ”Human Dignity Between the Acceptances of Roman Law and the Perception of the Romanian Legislator Nowadays”, Jurnalul Libertății de Conștiință, Vol. 7, Nr. 1, Editura IRASIC, București, 2019, pp. 431-438.
• Marin, Marilena, ”Protecția Juridică a Drepturilor Omului între Cutumă, Lege și Jurisprudență”, în Management Intercultural, Volumul XVI, Numărul 30/2014, pp.122-126, Iași.
• Nargus Ebrahimi, The Ethics of euthanasia, AMSJ, Vol 3, Issue 1, 2012, pp. 73-75.
• Parliamentary Assembly, Resolution 613 (1976), în Rights of the sick and dying, Text adopted by the Assembly on 29 January 1976, disponibil la: https://pace.coe.int/pdf/2825f1eb7080435392a4d72766b6f080241c59419543321998ecb6b4b2742503/resolution%20613.pdf
• Parliamentary Assembly, Recommendation 779 (1976), Rights of the sick and dying, Text adopted by the Assembly on 29 January 1976, disponibil la: https://pace.coe.int/pdf/a1ff0ab85338b262444d4816241fa993fdf3315f-3d5ed0a006af368ead06e88a/recommendation%20779.pdf
• Parliamentary Assembly, Recommendation 1418 (1999), Protection of the human rights and dignity of the terminally ill and the dying, Text adopted by the Assembly on 25 June 1999, disponibil la: http://assembly.coe.int
• Rotaru, Ioan-Gheorghe, Om-Demnitate-Libertate, Cluj-Napoca, Editura Risoprint, 2019.
• Selejan-Guţan B., Protecţia europeană a drepturilor omului, Bucureşti, Editura C.H. Beck, 2006.
• Somerville, M.A., ”Guidelines for legalized euthanasia in Canada: A rejection of Nielson’s proposal”, în Death Talk: The Case Against Euthanasia and Physician-Assisted Suicide, 2nd ed. Montreal, McGill - Queen’s University Press, 2014.
• Suicide Act 1961, https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/9-10/60/data.pdf.
• The Belgian Act on Euthanasia of May, 28th 2002, în European Journal of Health Law, Vol. 10/2003, pp. 329-335, disponibil la: https://apmonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/belgium-act-on-euthanasia.pdf
• Vaughn, Lewis, Bioethics: Principles, Issues, and Cases, ed.3, New York and Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2016.
• Walsh, D., Caraceni, A.T., Fainsinger R., Foley K., Glare, P. Goh et al., Palliative medicine, 1st ed. Canada, Saunders, 2009.
• *** Dicţionar explicativ al limbii române, Bucureşti, Editura Univers Enciclopedic, 1998.
• *** Dicţionar de Medicină - Larousse, Bucureşti, Editura Univers Enciclopedic, 1998.
• *** “Medical Euthanasia: A Paper, Published in Latin in 1826, Translated and Reintroduced to the Medical Profession”, în Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences, Volume VII, Issue 4, Autumn 1952, pp. 401-416, https://doi.org/10.1093/jhmas/VII.4.401